The Case Study: Where We Are Now

By request, some screenshots. 🙂

4-27-15 - OtND Main Game Board

The main game board. One issue with Over the Next Dune in physical form was that it was difficult to manage searchers that overlapped each other; players had to lift and replace searchers to see where the arrows on the covered searcher(s) were pointing, always making sure that everyone got back where they belonged. The PC version easily fixes that by using see-through sprites that reveal arrows that would otherwise be hidden, as with the two searchers in the upper left. Transparency is expensive for board games, but it’s trivial on the computer.

4-27-15 - OtND In Play

An example of the game in play. One adventurer tried to go up the left side of the board, but left a trail (some of which can still be seen in the lower-left corner) and got caught by the highlighted searcher. It’s up to the remaining adventurers to mount a rescue.

The “main menu” button in the lower-right was inspired by a game fair where local designers are invited to demo their games. Players in that environment tend to wander from game to game, often leaving things unfinished. I wanted to make sure that players who come upon a game in progress are able to get back to start.

Actually, now that I think about it the rules should also be accessible from here; as I have the game set up now they can only be read by quitting the game and returning to the main menu. That shouldn’t be necessary.

One thing that’s missing here is a turn counter. I’ve been torn between wanting it to look nice, and wanting to hurry up and get that important feature implemented. Having a deadline should get me over that, one way or the other. 😉

4-27-15 - OtND Rules Screen

The rules screen. Again inspired by the game fair, I decided to boil the rules down as far as I possibly could so as to be within tolerances for someone who’s curious, but not yet invested. Detailed rules for those interested in the nuts and bolts of the game are to be available in a separate window.

Oddly, I’ve found that the rules screen works perfectly fine when I build for the Unity webplayer, but breaks when I build for Windows. That’s not going to be a fun bug to track down.

Nor is it the only bug:

– When searchers overlap the game sometimes incorrectly reports that there’s nowhere for a rescued adventurer to appear.
– UI buttons appear over the win and loss splash screens.
– Splash screens snap into view rather than fading in.
– And more. 😉

2 thoughts on “The Case Study: Where We Are Now

  1. Thanks for the screenshots. I know the graphics aren’t the focus of the game, but the tileset has a very nostalgic feel to it. It reminds me of some classic games like the early Ultima games (:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s